Differentiated instruction and assessment is a framework or philosophy for effective teaching that involves providing different students with different avenues to learning (mostly in the same classroom) in terms of: acquiring content; processing, constructing, generating ideas; and developing teaching material and assessment measures so that all students within a classroom can learn effectively, regardless of differences in ability.
Differentiation consists of vigorous determined attempt of teachers to respond to divergence among learners in the classroom. Whenever a teacher approaches an individual or a group to vary his or her teaching in order to create the best learning outcome as possible, that teacher is differentiating the instruction.
Teachers can differentiate four classroom elements based on student readiness, interest, or learning profile:
- Content – what the student requires to learn or how the student will get access to the information;
- Process – a set of tasks in which the student engages in order to understand and master the content;
- Products – associating relevant products that ask the student to practice for better performance, apply and cover what he or she has learned in a unit; and
- Learning environment – the way the classroom works and feels.
Embedded Image Courtesy – Pinterest
Examples of differentiating content at the basic level consist the following:
- Using reading materials at varying readability levels;
- Creating text materials on audio mode;
- Using spelling or vocabulary lists at readiness levels of students;
- Presenting lessons through both auditory and visual means;
- Meeting with small groups to re-teach an idea or skill for learners who are finding difficult, or to extend the thinking or skills of advanced learners.
Examples of differentiating process or activities at the basic level include the following:
- Using series of activities through which all learners work with the same understanding and skills.
- Providing learning centers that encourage students to explore topic of particular interest to them;
- Developing agendas by the teacher containing common work for the whole class and work that addresses individual needs of learners which to be completed during specified time
- Offering mathematical concepts or other hands-on supports for students who need them; and
- Providing additional time to a student to complete a task in order to support learners who find it difficult or to encourage an advanced learner to learn a lesson in greater depth.
Examples of differentiating products at the basic level include the following:
- Providing students choices of how to understand a particular topic (e.g., create a paper model, relating with live examples, or create pictures);
- Create documents that provide details of students with varied skills levels;
- Allowing students to work alone or in small groups on their products; and
- Encouraging students to create their own assignments relevant with their lessons or topics with required elements.
Examples of differentiating learning environment at the basic level include:
- Providing study materials that reflect the curriculum and the learning needs;
- Setting out clear instructions for independent work that matches individual needs;
- Developing sequence of task that allow students to get help when teachers are engaged with other students and cannot help them immediately
How IGfL supports Differentiated Instruction
The table below provides some of the products that India Grid for Learning offers, which support the four key classroom elements of differentiated instruction.
|Global Grid for Learning(GGfL) Library, which is an integral part of India Grid for Learning contains engaging and immersive content which is segregated according to age subject, format and publisher provides extensive support to the content||Through Connector Edmodo – Focus on teaching not paperwork, seamlessly use Google Apps for Education, Share resources from across the world.||GGFL Library which is an integral part of India Grid for Learning contains engaging and immersive content which is segregated age wise, subject wise, format wise and Publisher wise provides extensive support to the content.||GGfL Library|
|CK12 connector in the platform provides CBSE content for standard 9-12||Through Microsoft AEP program get the school a truly digital infrastructure, collaborate using Office 365 in and out of classrooms.||Microsoft AEP provides Office 365 collaborative Tools to collaborate among students, Teachers in and outside the Classrooms||MS AEP and Learnium|
|Math Connectors provides interactive lessons to students who can develop their math skills||Revisely – An assignment platform can manage and evaluate all the assignments in terms of plagiarism, formats, copying etc., with 20 inbuilt assessment criteria.||Learnium – social learning platform that gives learners and educators better ways to connect, communicate and collaborate online||Edmodo and School Messenger|
|Other Connectors for Content: Promethean, McGraw Hill, Pearson etc.||SCANTRON SSO connector provides Market leading assessment capabilities, Analytics, and technology services that help Learners, educators around the world achieve their individual goals and maximize institution Performance.||Revisely – Revisely is an online tool that helps teachers to give more and better feedback on texts to students in less time.
Texts can be about any subject and have any form such as essays, papers and letters.
The tool supports teachers during the entire process of setting, correcting and giving feedback on assignments.
India Grid for Learning works as an integrated and unified learning platform offering a wide variety of learning resources. The advantage of the platform is that schools can choose from a given list of more than 300 resources/connectors that would work best for their students.
The list of resources cover areas as diverse as – English Grammar, Communication Skills, Maths, Science, History, Geography, French, dedicated learning resources for teachers and much more. If your institution has a 1 MBPS dedicated broadband line it is more than sufficient to run the IGfL platform with ease. The platform runs on the ‘cloud’ and is completely secure. We help train your IT Administrators and ensure that IGfL works seamlessly at your institution.
IGfL is offered on a subscription-based model with institutions buying user-licences for a minimum period of one-year. Please write to firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss costs and deployment.
Come give your students the IGfL Advantage today!!