The business of education in India is a serious business indeed. With a population of over 1 billion and a growing number of children and infants who will eventually get admitted to schools, India is set to have the world’s largest school-going population. There are close to about 45 different recognized boards of education that have differences in structure and syllabus. The most popular boards in India being the CBSE and the ICSE! With the increasing use of smart phones and affordable mobile connectivity, the scope for ed-tech firms to make a mark in Indian education is ‘HUGE’. The past few days have seen various newspapers referring to a study commissioned by Google and conducted by KPMG India on the future of online education in India. This blog post looks at some of the key points mentioned in the study and our insights on how India Grid for Learning is ideally poised to help schools in adopting online education.
Key Findings as Listed in the Report
- Current size of the online education market in India = US$247 million.
- Estimated size of market by 2021 = US$1.96 billion.
- Key areas of growth include – primary and secondary education, certification and re-skilling and test preparation.
- The single largest growth potential lies in the primary and secondary education sector with a value of US$ 773 million by 2021.
- Affordability of learning, quality of content, brand endorsement and peer reviews will play key roles in learners buying a course.
- Learning will shift towards smart phones and tablet devices.
- Providers who offer value-added services like career counseling and placement asistance and not just learning content will stay ahead in the game!
- Provisions for accessing learning in off-line mode and device-agnostic learning will find a wider user-base..
- Customized learning content that adapts to the learners’ skills will be a game-changer.
You can access the full report here for your reference!
Ingegno Transmedia brings to you – India Grid for Learning, a complete learning ecosystem, that’s India’s first educational marketplace, which can be accessed by a single sign-on. Users get to access to a premium content library comprising over 2.5 million pieces of unique content in the form of e-books, presentations and animation videos across a wide spectrum of topics.
The platform is offered at an institutional level and institutions assign users at the teacher, students and IT-administrator level. IGfL offers real-time analytics of students and teachers and allows institutions to choose and pick the resources that they wish to access and pay for them alone. This is similar to signing up for ‘direct-to-home television’ and paying for the channels or channel packs that you watch.
Our Experiences and Insights
In the last year we have visited close to a 1000 schools across Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh and Telangana in person and demonstrated the efficacy of the product. What we have learnt is that a majority of institutions exist in areas, where internet connectivity is still extremely poor. They wonder how they can bill the cost of this service onto the already over-burdened parents. Institutions wish to get single-user licenses instead of signing up for a package deal. Schools still ask for printed books that they can use to teach! A huge differentiator in an increasingly ‘digital world’!
What the Future Holds?
The push for a digital education system is quite strong; please remember the human teacher can never be replaced and every product or software that comes into the market is only a supplementary product that can help simplify education. The online education market is on a roll with loads of services free and paid are available that help learners acquire skills, certification and knowledge. What will separate the winners from the ‘also-rans’ will be the ability of providers to stay unique from various clones in the market and offer adaptive learning courses that have quality learning content at the right price. With the focus shifting on mobile, we are looking at a scenario wherein learning will be delivered by apps. Right from buying to accessing and receiving a certificate or a digital badge that can be showcased on a social profile will be on the smart phone.
These are exciting times ahead and we believe that we have a great set of products that will truly change the way online learning is delivered in India. Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org for a discussion on how we can deploy India Grid for Learning at your institution.